Which model of the Atari VCS/2600 do people usually prefer ?

MaximumRD

This is a topic from elsewhere I thought could work here. Pertaining to all the original 2600 and compatibles from back in the day (Heavy Sixer, 4 Switch, Jr., Sears Telegames Video Arcade etc

this was my reply. 

I think I love the original heavy Sixer overall though admittedly it is about the only version I don't own so not sure if it's just a "The grass is greener" type thing or not but my light Sixer and 4 switches are nice but there are times I just love my black "Vader" model, it's in such great shape too so that helps. I think about every other original option (Gemini, Jr etc.) just looks kind of cheap but I love them. Now I have something that would probably be considered the ugly duckling or "Crazy Uncle Larry" of the bunch, a 2600 adaptor for the 5200 which has been modded, it can work with the 5200 as designed but also as its own standalone unit with it's own PSU and composite and S-video output, it ain't pretty but a neat novelty for sure. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

My preferred method for playing 2600 games is the 7800. That's my default. I think the best looking 2600 system is the 2600 Jr. My favorite was the Atari 2700, but that's not really an option. The 4-switch is the icon, but the Vader looks so mean. Yet who doesn't like a Heavy Sixer?

My daily driver is a 7800. My favorite is the Sears H6r because this was the first “Atari” that I saw and played a lot at my cousins house. I never had my own Atari growing up, but I did get a C64 during high school. Today I have them all, including a 2800. I’ll always prefer the various Woody models.

IMG_0190.jpeg

IMG_0191.jpeg

IMG_1452.jpeg

Edited by sramirez2008

I like any of the Woodies. I don't have one now, but I have an operational Atari 2600 Jr. Short Rainbow model. I used to have a Vader and a 4-Switch Woodie, but they were stolen. I have never had a H6R of any model A2600, though. I would love to get one, though. When I had a ColecoVision, I had the A2600 adapter for it, but I traded it in for store credit at a video game store in my hometown. The only issue with my Short Rainbow is the cracked case, which I could cosmetically repair if I had the materials. I could also do it almost flawlessly with the right materials. Anyway, that's what I prefer aside from the A7800. I also have a Supercharger cart, which only works on the A2600.

That's my story. Thanks. :)

I've got a bunch.  I have a light sixer that is probably my favorite of the bunch.  But my daily driver is a Jr. with composite mod.  It's small and fits in my small downstairs gaming area really well.  Upstairs, I have a 7800 set up and ready.  But I mostly only use that for 7800 gaming. 

Just going from memory, I have my original 4 switch woody from childhood (in box), a light sixer, a vader, and a jr.  This is a huge downsize from the bunch I've had over the years.  A few years ago, I added composite mods to a bunch and sold them.  They seemed to go quickly back then with the mod.  I've had several heavy sixers too, and sold them all when I realized they were worth a bit more. 

It is my firm belief that the 4 switch woody/vader models are probably the best of the lot.  They have a single board, laid out well and are easy to repair.  The six switch models with two boards seem very fragile and prone to failure.  Jr's have those terrible mylar switches for select and reset. 

The Coleco Gemini is also a really nice design and I've never found one that was broken. 

Edited by RickR

I had a Gemini when I was growing up so that wins on nostalgia. My preferred way to play 2600 games is the 7800. My preferred version of the 2600 is the Jr.  I love the wedge aesthetic of the Jr. I also really like the Sears Tele-Games variants and the light sixer.

Edited by Sabertooth

22 hours ago, Justin said:

My preferred method for playing 2600 games is the 7800. That's my default. I think the best looking 2600 system is the 2600 Jr. My favorite was the Atari 2700, but that's not really an option. The 4-switch is the icon, but the Vader looks so mean. Yet who doesn't like a Heavy Sixer?

5 hours ago, greenween said:

I'm usually playing on the 7800 just because it's always hooked up. My other go to systems are a 4 switch woody with a/v mod, and a Sears heavy 6er.

7800 is my goto also. I have a 4 switch. I think a Telegames. I don't use it as much because the 7800 Parallel Port unit I have is just so handy.

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

Pretty sure we have talked about this before? But as will come to no surprise, my 7800 is my main console I use for both 2600 and 7800 gaming. I had a 4 switch woody originally when I was child, but it was given to my cousins in the late 80s when I got my 7800 and it replaced that 4 switch in our house back then.

I have just about each model of the 2600 (Minus a 2800 but I've few of the SVA IIs). I do like the Vader models, but I would say my favorite looking one would be the 4 switch woody. Again, it was what I had when I originally grew up with Atari so that will always have that spot even if I don't use one today.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

I love them all!   Played on even the adaptors for the Intellivision and ColecoVision.

I think the weakest ones are the newest Flashbacks and even the Atari 2600+ only due to amount of games that work on those due to not 100% working emulation.

The best to me?  I think for footprint the 2600 jr. is a great way to go.   Part of me wonders if a Intellivision adaptor or the other could be made to work on their own?  😄   That would be a nice tiny 2600.

Nostalgia:  Started on Telegames model.  And I have a 6 switch 2600 in the box.

15 hours ago, D r Clu said:

Part of me wonders if a Intellivision adaptor or the other could be made to work on their own?  😄   That would be a nice tiny 2600.

I've no doubt they could, like my own 2600 adaptor for the 5200 which still works as an adaptor as well as a standalone, I don't have the tech knowledge to do it myself but I have definitely seen this done with the ColecoVision add-on as well. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

18 hours ago, CrossBow said:

Pretty sure we have talked about this before? 

I "borrowed" this literally identical thread recently created on Atariage as I often do with threads I am enjoying or feel would be appreciated here as well so you might be thinking of that, if it had been done here already recently I don't recall but it's possible, my memory is not the greatest these days. 🤷‍♂️😁

- M. Bison

19 hours ago, D r Clu said:

Part of me wonders if a Intellivision adaptor or the other could be made to work on their own?  😄   That would be a nice tiny 2600.

I'm going to also answer similar to @MaximumRD and state that this should be possible yes. All of those 2600 clone add on devices work the same way. They are basically self contained 2600 consoles that are only using the power from the parent console to operate. They aren't using any of the actual logic from the parent console. The audio and video from these devices is done by the add on module itself as it is injecting its own audio and composite video output back to the parent console and through the parent consoles RF modulator.

So if you provided separate power for the devices and add AV jacks along with possible AV upgrade components likely being needed to get a usable composite signal, then yeah, they can all be converted to be stand alone 2600 clones.

Edited by CrossBow

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

22 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

5200 VCS Adapter.jpg

I've always considered this to be the first "Tower of Power" setup vs the Genesis + 32 + Sega CD setups.

That said, I also find it funny that Atari came up with the least elegant looking solution for VCS gaming on a different console. That wouldn't get corrected until the 7800 was released.

Edited by CrossBow

22 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

the least elegant looking solution for VCS gaming on a different console.

You got that right. It looks terrible, but I had to have it.

Btw...in '83, Atari Age Club members could have purchased the Atari 5200 Power Package. I guess membership had its privileges.

83 AA Club 5200 Power Package.jpg

Edited by sramirez2008

I had the 4 switch woody as a kid. The six switch woody is the iconic model, and that's what I prefer mostly because of aesthetics. My daily driver is a light sixer with s-video output that I bought from ebay.

The other 2600 models in my collection are two heavy sixers (one I bought from the original owner and other I bought from Pink Gorilla because it was only $50), and they are both now signed by Joe Decuir.