Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

What entertainment items do you take on a long trip?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,786 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:36 PM

For example, on vacation that requires a plane trip. What gaming/entertainment items do you take?

I usually take the following:

- Gameboy Advance SP with 3 or 4 carts. I love this one because it's compact yet has great games.
- Tablet to surf internet, watch Netflix, etc.
- MP3 player to listen to audiobooks
  • The Professor, Rowsdower70 and LeeJ07 like this

#2 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

I too find the Gameboy Advance SP the best on the go gaming device.
Besides that, I have to have my laptop, and the Mrs has to have her smartphone. 
The laptop does all my surfing, streaming, and musical needs.   I rarely fly or anything, so I still listen to CDs when I travel.

• RickR likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:11 PM

A PSP..some Retro Comp.UMD's..headphones, spare Batt's and a recharging cable, along with a good book and it's Hog (or Dragon :) ) heaven....

Prior to that, it would of been:

The GBA Micro, plus MOH, Rebelstar, Ninja Cop, Gunstar Heroes, Thrust (homebrew Cart) etc....

Find i only visit Retro on handhelds these days.

Odd as it sounds it's a break from mainstream gaming for myself, so a holiday within a holiday.

• RickR and Rowsdower70 like this

#4 jmjustin6

jmjustin6

Pear Member

• 1,277 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:40 PM

Given that i have never been on a plane i take the PSP for the loooong car rides. The PSP is modded so i can play any and all games (all atari and all nintendo), but now that i have the game gear i might be taking that on the next trip. Is there a car charger for the game gear?

Edited by jmjustin6, 22 August 2016 - 05:41 PM.

• RickR, Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

#5 atarilbc

atarilbc

Pretzel Member

• 495 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:49 PM

My modded Lynx and iPad.
  • RickR, Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

#6 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,177 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:50 AM

back in the day.......... I'd take: Takara Triple Flips (used to have 6 of the 10 they made - now I only have 1)

Attached Thumbnails

• triple flips8b.JPG
  • triple flips red2.jpg
  • triple flips red3.jpg
  • triple flips red4.jpg

• The Professor, RickR, Clint Thompson and 3 others like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#7 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:06 AM

Back in the day I would literally pack my Atari 7800 system and 30+ games (CIB!) to take with me for the summer. Sometimes I would bring a TurboGrafx-16 or SNES as well. Then I got a Lynx, and I haven't been without it since. For a long time I also brought a TurboExpress. Sometimes I still do.

I wrote a blog entry about my '90s road trips with Atari Lynx here: http://www.atari.io/atari-lynx-california-games-2/

These days I usually bring:

• Atari Lynx w/ Travel Case, Sun Visor, Battery Pack, AC Adapter, Car Charger and a dozen of my favorite games
  • TurboExpress (if by car) in the rear center console of my car w/ Bonk 3, Air Zonk, Blazing Lazers, Alien Crush, and Galaga '90
  • Laptop for the sole purpose of running this site
  • iPad

lynx_travel_case.jpg

• The Professor, RickR, Clint Thompson and 3 others like this

#8 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 581 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:55 AM

I don't fly and rarely ever get to go on a trip that doesn't involve me driving the entire time. The last time I think I got to switch off driving that allowed for bringing fun things along was way back in 2001 to JagFest. We had a power inverter in the car, a 20" CRT TV and a PS2 with Burnout that we took turns playing in the backseat. We got a lot of goofy looks as cars passed this tiny black Hyundai Elantra with a huge TV in the back, at least for the car haha...

• RickR, Rowsdower70, LeeJ07 and 3 others like this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#9 fergojisan

fergojisan

Orange Member

• 217 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:01 AM

A DS, an iPod, and a book.

Yes, a real book. They don't lose their charge. :P

• The Professor, RickR, Rowsdower70 and 1 other like this

#10 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,786 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:29 AM

I also want to admit I'm a lot like this guy:

ba_baracus1.jpg

I HATE FLYING, YOU CRAZY FOOL MURDOCH!

I don't know why, but I get illogically nervous and anxious before flying.  Woke up this morning feeling pretty bad....  So the good news is that the electronic gadgetry usually makes me feel better as a distraction. 

• The Professor, Rowsdower70, LeeJ07 and 1 other like this

#11 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,786 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:30 AM

A DS, an iPod, and a book.

Yes, a real book. They don't lose their charge. :P

Real book!  I usually stash a magazine in my bag "just in case". 

• Rowsdower70 and LeeJ07 like this

#12 LeeJ07

LeeJ07

Apple Member

• 982 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:27 PM

I bring books, my 3DS, PSP, Gameboy Advance SP, laptop, and cellphone.
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.

#13 nosweargamer

nosweargamer

Banana Member

• 2,666 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:57 PM

3DS

Tablet

and maybe a GBA SP

• The Professor and LeeJ07 like this

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube....0EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

#14 Keatah

Keatah

Cherry Member

• 32 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:04 PM

Electronics-wise? Mainly my trusty laptop, packed with an unimaginable amount of emulators and all my music. A flip-fone. Perhaps a book or two. Oftentimes taking in the scenery and ambiance *IS* the entertainment itself and I don't get into the stuff I bought with. If I did, I might as well stay at home!

Edited by Keatah, 01 November 2016 - 05:05 PM.

• The Professor and MaximumRD like this

#15 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Orange Member

• 256 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:48 AM

3DS with some games and my DS multicart. Maybe my PSP if I'm into a particular game... my iPhone of course, and a regular Kindle. I also have a Limeade portable battery that is great for keeping stuff charged.

Surprised to see so many rockin the GBA SP; that system was definitely one of the best portables Nintendo ever made. I have the NES styled one, still works great, but I hardly use it anymore because I can emulate GBA pretty well with the DS multicart.

• The Professor likes this

#16 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 270 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:04 PM

Usually I bring my MacBook. I'm always working on a project, be it a podcast episode, a web site, etc., or I'll fire up MAME (played a *lot* of Arch Rivals during Thanksgiving break!)...

• The Professor and RickR like this

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

#17 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,786 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:28 PM

Arch Rivals is a great game.

#18 dauber

dauber

Orange Member

• 270 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:47 PM

Oh....this past Thanksgiving for the extended weekend my wife and I went to New Jersey to visit her mother and some relatives. Along with my MacBook I also brought a book I've been meaning to read...which came in *very* handy because my M-I-L's Verizon FiOS dropped dead, meaning no TV and no Internet. (My wife and I each had stuff to occupy the time with, but my M-I-L was in a state of panic because she couldn't watch the damn TV.)

And as with fergojisan (if that IS his real name!) I also have my trusty iPod with me, 160 gigs...even have a playlist for daytime airplane takeoffs:

- "On The Run" by Wondermints, timing it so that the very last segment happens just as the plane's about to lift off, followed immediately by "Ride" from the same group, next track on the album, actually

- "Someone To Love"  and "Car Phone" from Roger McGuinn's Back From Rio album

- Then back to Wondermints for their cover of "Barbarella" (my wife's suggestion)

- And then back to the McGuinn album for "Your Love is a Goldmine".

For some reason, that list of songs just plain works at the beginning of a daytime flight.

Edited by dauber, 07 December 2016 - 06:50 PM.

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users