Sign in to follow this  
Yo-Yo

Your first game for your first game system?

Not counting the pack-in game, what was the first video game you were excited to get for your first game system?

Mine was Food Fight. I played the arcade game and it was pure awesome. After too many trips to the arcade and playing it on the 7800 at a friend's house it was time for me to get a 7800 of my very own. I saved up my pennies and bought one at K&K Toys which later became Kay-Bee. I bought the 7800 which came with Pole Position 2, plus I bought Food Fight, Galaga, and Missile Command for the 2600. Food Fight was one of my favorite games even through the Nintendo craze.

Not counting the pack-in game, what was the first video game you were excited to get for your first game system?

Mine was Food Fight. I played the arcade game and it was pure awesome. After too many trips to the arcade and playing it on the 7800 at a friend's house it was time for me to get a 7800 of my very own. I saved up my pennies and bought one at K&K Toys which later became Kay-Bee. I bought the 7800 which came with Pole Position 2, plus I bought Food Fight, Galaga, and Missile Command for the 2600. Food Fight was one of my favorite games even through the Nintendo craze.

Why haven't I heard you stories on the Atari 7800 Game By Game Podcast!?!?!

(unless I have and didn't know it was you :) )

Pitfall! I was super excited to find it at a garage sale after I got my 7800.

I was also really stoked to get the 7800 versions of Rampage and Double Dragon when they announced them.

Pitfall! remains to be one of my favorite games of all time for any system.  One day we should all commit to doing a top 10 thread. ;)

Not counting the pong system my family had when I was very young, it would be the Qix cartridge that came with the 5200 I found at Goodwill about 15 years ago. (I came late to console games.) The first game on a computer system I remember playing was Depthcharge by Elektrik Keyboard for Apple II, in the late 80s.

First game for my first "console" (not counting Microvision) would have been Berzerk for my Vectrex. The most excited game to get would have been Spike (along with Scramble, Cosmic Chasm, & Fortress of Narzod) that I found at Lionel Playworld for $4.99 each.

My Atari 2600 was gifted to me along with a few less-popular titles that were on sale at the time, but turned out to be incredibly fun.

- Maze Craze: which had an AI that would chase you while you made it out of the long, blocky serpentine randomly-generated mazes. Had lotsa options.

- Night Driver: Which was a surpringly good driving simulation. Very basic graphics (obviously) but swift paddle controller action. EVERY adult relative tried it during the holiday visits and enjoyed its cleverness. Made me feel proud of my new system.

eh...something else I forget right now. I'll get back to it later, when i have more time.

Didn't get Space Invaders until a week later (the omission under the tree was less than subtly noticed from my part).

And the rest came in shortly thereafter.

And through it all, we played Combat until we just...couldn't...do it...anymore.

My Atari 2600 was gifted to me along with a few less-popular titles that were on sale at the time, but turned out to be incredibly fun.

- Maze Craze: which had an AI that would chase you while you made it out of the long, blocky serpentine randomly-generated mazes. Had lotsa options.

- Night Driver: Which was a surpringly good driving simulation. Very basic graphics (obviously) but swift paddle controller action. EVERY adult relative tried it during the holiday visits and enjoyed its cleverness. Made me feel proud of my new system.

eh...something else I forget right now. I'll get back to it later, when i have more time.

Didn't get Space Invaders until a week later (the omission under the tree was less than subtly noticed from my part).

And the rest came in shortly thereafter.

And through it all, we played Combat until we just...couldn't...do it...anymore.

I had a friend who had Night Driver (among others).  We used to turn out all the lights, and I brought over my KISS albums and we'd crank those and play Night Driver in the dark.  

His mom enjoyed a bit of vino and slept pretty hard! ;)

The first game console I received was the NES Action set in Christmas of 1988. Of course it was packed in with Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt. The first game I got that wasn't packed in with it was Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros 2. Also received in Christmas '88