Squad Challenge - Joust (Atari 7800)

Justin

Here's a video I made of Atari 7800 Joust for this Squad Challenge. I got this one to actually work, unlike the Q*Bert one I tried to make last time. That one had commentary by yours truly, and for some reason I couldn't get the audio to mix properly (though it's worked fine before so I don't know what was wrong with it that time). This Joust video doesn't. Just gameplay.

Another difference between this and my failed Q*Bert video is that this one is using emulation. Instead of using my 7800 and Joust cartridge, I am using my modded Wii U. That's why you can see the High Score Cartridge screen. I prefer using original hardware if I have it at my disposal, but this is okay I guess. At least it's nicer on your end; you'll have some nice composite-captured footage rather than the crummy RF my 7800 uses.

But, anyways, after I gave up on a particularly bad first game I got a new personal best for this challenge: 79,150.

I definitely have some room for improvement. I hate playing with the Wiimote so much. I might switch back to my 7800 soon, but I'm not sure if I'll have the time to.

3 hours ago, EEP! said:

I got a 7800 emulator running on my Wii. I played a lot of Joust on my 2600.  I have the Midway collection that has it on Gamecube and PS2. It's great to know that I suck at the 7800 version just as much as all the other ones. 

Something to be said about consistency...  😉

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Joust (7800, Intermediate): 71,150

Scored on emulator.  Grew up playing the Atari computer version and recently played the 2600 which was able to roll.  This version is really good but definitely more challenging than the other two like the arcade version.   I have a version on the original Xbox (Midway Arcade Treasures) that would like to retry and see how it compares. 

20210212_223952.jpg

48100. Tonight was the only chance I had to submit a run. I hadn't played Joust in decades and it showed LOL. I was inspired by Dazzer's 10MM run on the Arcade version.

It's the final run in the video which starts at 13:36. Thanks to @Atari Creepfor inadvertently reminding me that I still had OpenEmu installed; I had been using RetroArch but I've had trouble with it lately.

14 hours ago, Justin said:

What a great game!

I agree.  This is the type of game that the 7800 was made for.  Tons of colorful objects flying around with no flicker or slow down.  It's TOUGH.  When that pterodactyl comes out, you better clear up the level fast!  I had fun, but didn't spend enough time with this one. 

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Dinobot711!

Congratulations to @Dinobot711 on an incredible score! What a clean win! Dinobot takes the top spot in our Atari 7800 Joust Final Standings with his score of 130,300! Joust is a terrific game for the 7800, and we were able to keep our momentum with high participation on a 7800 game which tends to fizzle a little bit in comparison with Atari 2600 and NES games. It was great to have you all join in the buzzard bait action!

"The Don" @RickR held his reputation for impressive scores, posting a score of 86,700 to take 2nd Place on our Final Standings. Another top score performer, @Sabertooth held his own with a great score and came very close to Rick to take the 3rd spot on our board with a score of 85,450. @HDN @Justin @AtariSphinx @Marco1019 @EEP! @Gianna @btbfilms76 @nosweargamer @TrekMD @socrates63 and @Atari Creep all joined us in this Squad Challenge and came through with stellar scores!

Congratulations once again to @Dinobot711 for the big win, and as always I'd like to encourage Dino to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on! And a big congratulations to our community for being such a great group, I hope everybody had fun with this classic arcade game for the Atari 7800 ProSystem!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge is Attack of the Timelord! for Magnavox Odyssey ²! Be there!

large.final_standings_atari_7800_joust.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

On 2/15/2021 at 4:14 PM, Sabertooth said:

Hope to see you all on Attack of the Timelord. It's probably the best original O² game without "Munchkin" in the title. 

This guy would like to talk to you about that:

1232208576_Pick02.jpg.9646e39e150ab9c6bb2b9f630658c31e.jpg

Or was it this guy?

picky.jpg.805cee372dfeaf1119ee07e4041bfeae.jpg

😅

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube