What's everybody doing for Halloween this year?

Justin

There's a house down the street from us that puts on a heck of a display at Christmas time and this year they are doing the same thing for Halloween.  Everything is in sync with music which they broadcast over an unused radio station.  So my wife and I might go and check that out.  Dress up?  Not sure.  Where we live trick and treating is considered soliciting so we don't get trick or treaters.  Not entirely sure what else we'll do.

Edited by kamakazi20012

I'm going to do something entirely unrelated to Halloween.  I'm going to watch The Fiddler on the Roof!  I have listened to the music for this show for years and I've never seen it.  The only night I can go is October 31st, so that has become my plan for that evening.  

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

On 10/25/2019 at 6:41 PM, StormSurge said:

Handing out full bars of candy. 😀

I know who's house to visit this year! 

On 10/25/2019 at 6:04 PM, TrekMD said:

I'm going to do something entirely unrelated to Halloween.  I'm going to watch The Fiddler on the Roof!  I have listened to the music for this show for years and I've never seen it.  The only night I can go is October 31st, so that has become my plan for that evening.  

They still play that movie?  I haven't seen it either but my Grandmother use to play that one a lot.  It was one of her favorites.

I don't know if we will watch a movie or not.  Borderlands 3 is doing a Bloody Harvest event until December 5th so wife and I might work on that.  If I watch a movie it will most likely be one of those classic B&W ones at the Archives.  Wife doesn't like scary movies at all so I will most likely be watching those alone.  Harry Potter scares her so ... not a lot of options when it comes to movies.

9 hours ago, TrekMD said:

It's not the movie.  I'm going to the actual musical play! 

Hmm, how about watching Hocus Pocus with your wife?  It's family friendly and fun and not really scary but appropriate for Halloween!  Disney just announced a sequel for it for their Disney+ service.

I worked at a small musical theater in CT a few years ago & Fiddler was one of the shows that year. I had never seen it before & the only song I was vaguely familiar with was "Sunrise, Sunset". The show was amazing and to this day, I find myself with random songs from the show stuck in my head.

I have to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of Halloween (I'm more of a Christmas person), but I do still love dresssing up and occasionally pulling a few scare pranks on people. My work buddies were telling me to dress up like Eminem because I listen to Eminem all the time. I'm not really sure how I can "dress up" like Eminem, but it's an interesting idea.

I managed to finally get The Grinch's Halloween and Carrie 2013 on DVD, and I will definitely be watching those tomorrow night along with some other horror-themed stuff because I love those two movies.

My house, although located in town, is in a quieter area and is unlikely to get any trick or treaters knocking on the door. But it works for me anyway because I'm not sure I even have any candy to give them.

All in all, not really my favorite day of the year, but it usually works out anyway.

My wife and I aren't really into Halloween too much holiday wise. As a result, we shut off all he outside lights we can and order pizza so we can stay in bedroom to watch TV and 'hide'.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Just as with CrossBow, my wife and I don't really do the Hallowe'en thing. We do watch It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown every year though. Luckily, our company is dismissing us at 3 today. My wife is on strike, so she's probably monitoring media to see when she can go back to work. I THINK we're having left-over Chinese food...very Hallowe'eny, no?? Looking forward to finishing my fried rice! For me, the REAL celebration is tomorrow: I get off work early, and I'll be doing my ExtraLife gaming in the afternoon, and all day at the arcade on Saturday. 

EDIT: wife goes back to work tomorrow. 

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

Halloween report from sunny but cold Happy Valley, Oregon:

My wife and I had 110 candies to hand out, and that lasted about an hour before we ran out.  Our candy of choice this year was SpongeBob Krabby Patties, which were a big hit with the kids.  They are little burgers where each individual item (bun, meat, cheese, pickles, etc) is a separate gummy candy.  I "may" have sampled a few for myself.  They are very tasty. 

Once that was done, we decided to watch a movie we'd never seen before.  "Halloweentown", which is highly rated by Disney nerds and also has the benefit (for us) of being filmed in St. Helens, OR -- about 30 miles from us.  The movie was made in 1998, and St Helens still does "Halloweentown" celebrations and decorations each year.  Well, the movie was pretty so-so.  Debbie Reynolds is always good, and the child actors were also very good.  It's the story that's a real let-down here -- very predictable.  I think this is a fine movie for little kids, but adults are going to get a little bored. 

All in all, a great night.

Well, unfortunately, I could not dress up last night. But, I watched "Stranger Things" yesterday on Netflix with my girlfriend, who just moved in with me. She move in yesterday of all days. It was fun. Also, I played "Dragon's Lair" on my Jaguar CD, just as I said I would. Although I did not get very far in it, I enjoyed it. I have not played the game in a while. I have finished the game before and rescued Princess Daphne, but it has been years since then. I am pleased that my Jaguar CD works so well. I think that "Dragon's Lair" would be a great game to play for the Halloween season. It is about a haunted castle, after all. Thanks for letting me share. :)

Well, we got snow the night before Christmas...I mean HALLOWEEN!  Geez, man.  Temperatures were barely above freezing so my wife and I stayed home and played the Bloody Harvest event in Borderlands 3 which ends sometime next week.  The "rewards" we got were not that great, though.  Got maybe one or two legendary items one of which is a Torgue shotgun that fires lasers and rockets simultaneously.  That was probably the best reward during the event that my wife and I got but that came from an enemy, not a boss or loot crate.  It goes through the ammo quick, though.  Was taking down a boss with it, doing good, half way through the gun went "click" and my character said "Out of AMMO!"  D'OH!  Yea, got our butts stomped after that gun ran out of ammo and no vending machines were any where close by.

Hard to believe another Halloween has come and gone and Wal-Mart had their Christmas stuff setup like a week before.  Now we get set for lots of turkey and then a visit from the man in the big red suit.  Man the holidays come and go so fast these days.  

3 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

Well, we got snow the night before Christmas...I mean HALLOWEEN!  Geez, man.  Temperatures were barely above freezing so my wife and I stayed home and played the Bloody Harvest event in Borderlands 3 which ends sometime next week.  The "rewards" we got were not that great, though.  Got maybe one or two legendary items one of which is a Torgue shotgun that fires lasers and rockets simultaneously.  That was probably the best reward during the event that my wife and I got but that came from an enemy, not a boss or loot crate.  It goes through the ammo quick, though.  Was taking down a boss with it, doing good, half way through the gun went "click" and my character said "Out of AMMO!"  D'OH!  Yea, got our butts stomped after that gun ran out of ammo and no vending machines were any where close by.

Hard to believe another Halloween has come and gone and Wal-Mart had their Christmas stuff setup like a week before.  Now we get set for lots of turkey and then a visit from the man in the big red suit.  Man the holidays come and go so fast these days.  

On Halloween 1991, we received over two feet of snow in one day. It blocked the roads and no one could go anywhere. It is known here in Minnesota as the "Halloween Megastorm." People died from shoveling snow due to heart attacks. At least, IIRC. It was one really bad snowstorm, that was for sure. I was stranded in Minneapolis that day. I wanted to see my folks in Saint Paul, but could not do it. Obvious reasons.

I'm thinking about playing the well regarded Haunted House game for the 2600. I've never played it so 👻🎃 night seems an appropriate time to give it a go.

As for giving out candy, my wife and I have not been home often on Oct 31. Sometimes our kids give them out. Other times, we've left a tray of candy in front of the door for self service. Not sure yet what we'll be doing this year. 

Where we live trick and treater's are not allowed because it is considered soliciting.  So we usually travel downtown to watch the stores do what is called the Halloween Trail.  Only for kids but fun to see them all dressed up.  Town officials already said they are doing it this year regardless of COVID.  And our nephews are here for the first time so I have no clue what we will do.  Afterwards, though, I have a few scary games I can play on modern systems or I might stick with a BW flick on the archives.