Justin's 8-Bit Game Setup

Justin

📺 Formally setting up my Sony Trinitron TV stand with my 8-Bit systems at the new house. Atari 2600/7800, Nintendo Entertainment System, and Sega Master System are all here with room for an additional system or two. Lighting is controlled remotely using an LED light strip kit from Five Below. Game Systems connect to a 4-Channel Audio/Video RCA Switch using premium industrial-grade gold RCA cables. These are my original systems from growing up, running on my original Sony Trinitron and Sony TV Stand from the 1990s. Everything here I bought new. These things mean a lot to me and I try to keep them nice and enjoy them often.

Systems from the 16-Bit, 64-Bit, and modern era systems are set up in my credenza under the TV in the living room. They are all running on a modern HD flatscreen Trinitron. Those systems include TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine / TurboDuo, Atari Jaguar, Super Famicom/SNES, Sega Genesis, Neo-Geo and others are in the living room running on the modern flatscreen Trinitron.  Those systems can hold their own on a modern TV, but older 8-Bit systems come to life on the classic tube TVs they were designed for. Those scan lines burning through the warm phosphorescent glow of the TV screen, it's an experience.

I hope you like my setup and enjoy the photos!

large.IMG_6125.jpg

large.IMG_6081.jpg

large.IMG_6598.jpg

large.IMG_6568.jpg

large.IMG_6626.jpg

large.IMG_6638.jpg

large.IMG_6855.jpg

1 hour ago, RickR said:

Justin, I don't like your setup.  I LOVE your setup.  

Looks great.  Enjoy.

48 minutes ago, BlackCatz40 said:

Love the purple light above the A7800. Nice. :O)

35 minutes ago, atarilbc said:

That is a wicked set-up @Justin! Major retro-design flex! 💪🕹️

Haha THANKS GUYS!! I'm thinking of lighting the upper portion of the TV stand, and maybe adding one more system in there. Also thinking about switching out the Sega Master System II for the original unit but it would be a tight fit. If anything changes substantially I'l post updated photos.

1 minute ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I want some of those lights.  I've got shelves to light up LOL.  Red for 2600, blue for 5200, purple for 7800, orange for NES, yea...I'm seeing all kinds of ideas.

They were $5 and came with a remote control. Taking the time to set them up just right and give everything a great presentation made all the difference in the world 🙂

On 8/1/2020 at 4:58 PM, MaximumRD said:

Lot's of retro goodness and wonderfully displayed as well. 😎

Thanks Rob! I like how this works. I have one more shelf that can go in there, I'm considering sandwiching in a TurboGrafx-16 or PC Engine very tightly between the two shelves, just enough so that you can insert a HuCard from the front and turn it on. I already have a TurboDuo set up in the other room though so it would be a bit redundant unless a guest was sleeping over. Really happy with the way this set up came out, thinking I won't mess with it but it's hard to feel like it's "done".

Amazing! You're what I aspire to be, but aspiration is the keyword as I'll never get there. Maybe I should change my username to Sisyphus.

My wife came into my office the other day and just shook her head. Translating her Korean, she asked, "Do you just need to be surrounded by messiness? Does that give you some sort of comfort?" She had helped me clean up and get organized two weeks ago.

I shrugged 🤷‍♂️ and then she walked out 🙂 

Edited by socrates63

28 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

Amazing! You're what I aspire to be, but aspiration is the keyword as I'll never get there. Maybe I should change my username to Sisyphus.

My wife came into my office the other day and just shook her head. Translating her Korean, she asked, "Do you just need to be surrounded by messiness? Does that give you some sort of comfort?" She had helped me clean up and get organized two weeks ago.

I shrugged 🤷‍♂️ and then she walked out 🙂 

lol thank you @socrates63:wreck-it-ralph: and it's easy to change your username if you'd like to. Let me know if I can be helpful. 

19 minutes ago, HDN said:

Cool setup dude! You should find a way to hook up your 16 bit consoles there as well. They look so much nicer on a CRT! But I envy your 7800 a great deal. I love how the black light reflects off of the metal strip!

Thank you ‼️🙌 Yeah, the 16-Bit systems enjoyed life there for many years. At this house I am setting them up out in a larger room where guests can more easily enjoy them. Sega Genesis and Nintendo 64 will be added to this lineup, along with some handsome lighting.

handome_atari_jaguar_clear_button_2.jpg

handome_atari_jaguar_clear_button_1.jpg

43 minutes ago, HDN said:

@Justin Super Famicom? Sweet. And is that a CDI I see?

That's a Turbo Duo! ☺️ It's the Primo TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine system. It takes card games and CDs in sleek, low-slung system, and it has a ton of great shooters. One of my favorite systems of all time.

6 minutes ago, Justin said:

That's a Turbo Duo! ☺️ It's the Primo TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine system. It takes card games and CDs in sleek, low-slung system, and it has a ton of great shooters. One of my favorite systems of all time.

Really? They look very similar to me. I'm not too keen on the Turbografx 16.

image.jpg.26159ec1e742a1cf32c40e20e4a33a9b.jpg

image.jpg.8706d2565b6041083ce848d010fbd3b7.jpg

You should give TurboDuo a try if you like shooters. I love the low slung looks of the Duo, and that it takes two formats. It's an incredible game system, possibly my favorite. Nice, clean arcade-style graphics and gameplay. Never could get into the CD-i but thought the "interactive television" idea was cool.

13 minutes ago, Justin said:

You should give TurboDuo a try if you like shooters. I love the low slung looks of the Duo, and that it takes two formats. It's an incredible game system, possibly my favorite. Nice, clean arcade-style graphics and gameplay. Never could get into the CD-i but thought the "interactive television" idea was cool.

The TurboDuo is on my dream wish-list. However the price of systems and games seem crazy, and have been for a while. Maybe one day...

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

17 minutes ago, nosweargamer said:

The TurboDuo is on my dream wish-list. However the price of systems and games seem crazy, and have been for a while. Maybe one day...

The Turboduo reminds me of that Sega Cd console that had it built in. I believe it was called the JVC X-Eye?

3 hours ago, HDN said:

The Turboduo reminds me of that Sega Cd console that had it built in. I believe it was called the JVC X-Eye?

Yes. I have the official one from Sega which was a tiny unit called the Sega CD-X which is going to sit right in there with my 16-bit consoles. It's the Genesis I grew up with. Very small, it's a portable CD Player with a cartridge slot.

Highly recommend the Turbo Duo at any price or emulating the games if that's what it takes. TurboGrafx used to be a steal at Toys R Us!

4 hours ago, Justin said:

You should give TurboDuo a try if you like shooters.

I'm not a huge fan of shooters but I  can appreciate them. I'd say 1943 is probably my favorite NES game. Vanguard I play often on 2600. Not sure I want to spend $500 just to play them on the TurboDuo, though.