Thrift Store Finds

RickR

I haven't been very active in the forums for a while, so here's some of my better finds over the last few months:

post-326-0-78831900-1497656949_thumb.jpg

It's a synth! No, it's a boom box! Wait, it's sort of both! I found this rather unusual Casio CK-500 synth over at a Goodwill in Kennewick, WA. Not in perfect condition (missing the radio antenna, power cable, and battery cover. Also, the right cassette player warbles a little). Helpfully, it did come with the manual. The sound is what you'd expect from a not-too-expensive Casio, but you can record what you play, switch tapes, and record with that as accompaniment.

post-326-0-29559100-1497658492_thumb.jpg

A couple rare books from Goodwill Outlet in Pasco, WA. A first U.S. edition of C. S. Lewis' That Hideous Strength. And the book that was very loosely the basis for Who Framed Roger Rabbit... Gary Wolf's Who Censored Roger Rabbit.

post-326-0-18945300-1497658996_thumb.jpg

I found this yesterday during a trip to Packwood, WA at a small thrift shop, For me, this one's a doozy: A Suzuki Omnichord System 2, complete and entirely functional! Still even has the disposable plastic overlay. A great deal at $25! You select a chord with the buttons, then strum the long panel on the side with one or two fingers. (Essentially, an electronic autoharp.) The buttons can also be used as a keyboard while you switch pre-recorded chords with a foot pedal.

They also had boxed NES and Genesis games that were way over-priced (sports games that were more than what I paid for the Omnichord) and some unpriced but intriguing educational laser disc with 3.5" floppy disk sets that came from a library.

Edited by RadioPoultry

Todays great half off thrift store day pickups. The ps2 controllers and the space invaders mouse were $1 each. Couldnt find the mouse pad sadly.

The eagles hotel California cassette was 25 cents. The little sonic has a suction cup on it so it can hang on a window so it will be a new edition to the truck.

And lastly i went to the game store and got a gamecube microphone for $1

post-844-0-97421000-1498527615_thumb.jpg

I spy the Dreamcast microphone, too. $10 is a real steal, and I can't say I'm not a little jealous. Where do you guys find these awesome Goodwill stores? I'm lucky if I even find one Wii game at the ones around here.

Hey i was super lucky today. Most of the goodwill shops around here get picked clean. I was thinking i didnt want to go so early today, but just as im checking out a guy walks in and say oh wow a dreamcast are you gonna buy that? So if i left even 10 min later i probably wouldn't have this right now

Anyone know what the pokedex is worth? Its sealed in perfect shape. Ive looked it up but prices seem to be everywhere

Looking at new, sold listings on ebay, I'd say $30 to $40.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

You should be able to find tons of the three sports games that came with most systems...NBA2K, NFL2K and NHL2K.  The basketball and football games are excellent.  Pick them up, they should be cheap.  And look for Virtua Tennis...probably the best game on the system.  As far as non-sports games...you want House of the Dead, HydroThunder, and the Resident Evil game. 

You should be able to find tons of the three sports games that came with most systems...NBA2K, NFL2K and NHL2K. The basketball and football games are excellent. Pick them up, they should be cheap. And look for Virtua Tennis...probably the best game on the system. As far as non-sports games...you want House of the Dead, HydroThunder, and the Resident Evil game.

A tennis game is the best game on the system? Oh and im already planning on getting all the gun games especially house of the dead

Very nice find with the Dreamcast!!  Vigilante 2 is a good title, too.  Dreamcast is a good all-around console with some good games.  On top of what others have already mentioned Midway supported the system full force so any of their games you can find you will not go wrong but definitely keep an eye out for Rush 2049.  As we all know Sega made some good sports games but, for me, their best Dreamcast installments were Flag to Flag and Virtua Tennis.  Bass Fishing 1 and 2 are good titles, too.  Sonic Adventure brought back the Sonic we all know and loved from the 16-bit era and, while there are some things Sega should have touched up on, the stages will keep you hunting for things.  It mixes the 16-bit levels with a bit of open-world finesse as there are times you will have to hunt for things.  There's also the Chaos to raise and race on the sides, too.

If you can't find games locally I would definitely check out Lukie Games' website.  They have some DC stuff.  I'm sure there are others but that place I have dealt with before with great results.  I would recommend Collector's Cards and Games but last I heard people were having issues getting their orders.  But that's been a while now.

Oh and ReVolt.  Really fun racing game with RC cars.  Man, now I need to get my Dreamcast out of the attic and play some of these games. 

Oh man!  ReVolt!!!  And the track editor for that game gives it a lot of replay value!!  I lost many of my early 20's playing that game.  OK...I gotta hunt that game down now.  

And keep your eyes out for Tokyo Xtreme Racer and it's sequel.  Both are really good, one-on-one, racing games, all set at night, and on recreated Tokyo highways.  It's a nice break from the typical laps and positions of usual racing games.  And if you don't mind long tracks check out Speed Devils.  Interesting tracks to say the least.  I'm not a fan of Crazy Taxi but keep an eye out for it.  

The DC to me is a bit like the N64.  It's the last of its kind with lots of good games if you are willing to hunt them down and give it a chance.  Some games you may find inexpensive while others may take a while to find and cost more money.  If you can find games in lots you will benefit more from that approach and may even find duplicates you could use for trades.  Just a thought ;)

Oh...and as someone once told me, it's dangerous to go alone take this:

https://www.lukiegames.com/Official-Dreamcast-VMU-Memory-Card_p_16222.html

No Dreamcast gamer should be caught without at least one of these and since you have two controllers I recommend getting two.  These fill up quick and some single games can take up a whole VMU like NFL 2K and other sports titles.  And if you find Sonic Adventure and have two of these you can plug a controller into the 4th port with a VMU and download a game to the VMU to play on the go called Chao Adventure.  It's a neat little side-scrolling, Chao-raising, game.

Despite its very brief time on the market, the Dreamcast managed to amass a library of 626 games, which is very respectable indeed.

Some more suggestions are Metropolis Racing, SeaMan, ChuChu Rocket, Space Channel 5, The Typing of the Dead, Jet Grind Radio, and Ikaruga.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" -Smash T.V.