Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Games your parents liked

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,115 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:49 PM

Admittedly, I am parroting this topic I seen over on Atariage because I think it could be really interesting.  :P

"Games your parents liked"

Instantly when I read that I recalled a few. Keep in mind I grew up a only child in a single parent family. That said, my MOTHER though not 

really into videogames, she DID enjoy and even got really good at a few back in the day. 

Colecovision. - Mr. Do! and Ken Uston BlackJack/Poker. The Black Jack and Poker was pretty much a given but she also took to Mr. Do! 

to the point that we were pretty competitive. We both got to the point we could roll the score and so it was more about how many times you could roll the score, so for example if I rolled the score 3 times, I would come home and she would have beaten that and I would immediately go and beat that, over and over. At some point we pretty much just had to agree that we were both pretty amazing at Mr. Do! lol. 

Some time later after getting the Nintendo 8 bit system there was the usual family Duck Hunt competitions. After those systems though she pretty much lost interest.  :spot:  :beer:

• RickR likes this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 5,504 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:58 PM

I can honestly say my parents NEVER touched a video game or computer.  I remember trying a few times, but they just cursed in Italian and went back to what they were doing. 

So for those of you with memories like those mentioned above...I'm jelly!  :wub:

• MaximumRD, greenween and Clint Thompson like this

#3 Starbuck66

Starbuck66

Pretzel Member

• 389 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 11:12 PM

Atari my dad was into Super Breakout, Battlezone, and Combat. He had high score competitions with my grandfather (a career Army man and Vietnam vet) on Battlezone... I was too young to remember them but from what I was told they were pretty intense!

Later when we got the NES I borrowed Solar Jetman from a friend, and my dad instantly fell in love with it! It was so bad I could barely get time on the game (even though I was much better at it than he was :-P). We went out and got a copy a week after I gave it back to my friend, and we hardly ever bought NES games, I always just rented them, so that was a big deal. My dad LOVED Tetris, both on the NES and Game Boy, and also Choplifter II on the Game Boy.

On the PC he was big into Sid Meier’s Civilization, especially CivNet and Civ II. He’d play those games for hours! And of course MS Solitare games on the Entertainment Packs; he liked Tri Peaks the best I think.

My dad was quite the gamer for a long time, until his MS got too bad for him to play anymore. He passed away several years back from complications related to it, but if it weren’t for him I don’t know if I would have had as big of a passion for video games as I do today.
  • MaximumRD and RickR like this

#4 dauber

dauber

Pretzel Member

• 395 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 12:43 AM

My mother never wanted anything to do with video games (although she did insist that I join her in a game of Mr. Do! some time in the '90s when we were waiting for a table at a restaurant; don't know what came over her!) but often my dad would play some Atari stuff with me. He's VERY left-handed, but the CX-40 is wired for right-handed people, so he'd only play games that didn't require a fire button - usually Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man. (He actually brought that up recently! "I was getting addicted to that!" he said.) He'd also play Super Breakout, as he had no problem wrapping his right hand around the paddle to operate the button.
  • MaximumRD, RickR and Starbuck66 like this

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

#5 RadioPoultry

RadioPoultry

Orange Member

• 168 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 03:39 PM

I don't know if I can say my parents actually liked any particular games, but I remember my parents at least briefly playing Apple ][ versions of Frogger, Lode Runner, and a Pac-Man clone called "Snack Attack". And I can still remember my dad reading to me the intro to Dino Eggs.

#6 Atari Creep

Atari Creep

King of Kreep

• 647 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 10:19 PM

My father was never into them but after I got a Genesis somehow my NES ended up in our den and my mom purchased Dr. Mario for it. Sge played the hell out of that game!!! Right now she has a Genesis and a copy of Toe Jam & Earl that my nephew gave her. 

• MaximumRD likes this

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

#7 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,380 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 04:40 AM

So games my parents played?  Centipede and Frogger on the 5200 was Mom's.  

I had a family friend named Charles.  We got pretty close when I got my 386 in the early 1990's.  He spent a whole day with me seeing what games I got and putting new games on my hard drive.  Every weekend or other weekend after that I would literally pack up my 386 and visit his place.  Then we would do sort of a software swap.  It was because of him I discovered shareware games.  Since he lived a rural area that got very little I usually had the cool commercial games.  His area had a small computer shop that started carrying shareware programs (had a whole wall dedicated to shareware stuff).  They would make their own disks and print out short manuals on how to install and play the games, all packaged in ziplock bags to protect them.  Once we discovered Doom and Heretic we would setup local networks and play multiplayer games.  Otherwise we would work together on some adventure games like the AD&D series from SSI or Wing Commander.  He was always good about giving me his older computer parts to put in my 386 if they would fit and work.  I still remember all the headaches we would go through trying to squeeze as much conventional RAM (640k and less) out of our systems so we could run some games.  

At the time I was a teen, he was in his 30s.  Computer stuff back then just seemed more interesting to me.  It was always about faster processors, higher quality sound, more storage space, more memory, better graphics, better storage solutions (floppy, optical)...it seemed never ending.  Now everything is pretty much the same.  Instead of new hardware promoting development of better software the computer end is now having to be created or upgraded to use software that exceeds some computer setups.  Seriously...dual graphics cards?!?  And I thought the Diamond Multimedia graphics card I had back then was the bomb.  I understand basic setups are just that...but a basic computer setup back then would at least play most of the games...now a basic setup might play one or two major game releases if you are lucky.

So...to recap again...Centipede and Frogger on the 5200 with Mom and on PC Doom, Heretic, AD&D, Wing Commander, Wolfenstein 3D, and there was one more I can't remember the name of on IBM PC with Charles.

• MaximumRD likes this

#8 kamakazi20012

kamakazi20012

Pear Member

• 1,380 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 04:48 AM

I just remembered something.  Mom did play a few computer games with me a few years before her passing.  When she remarried I spent a weekend with them.  Brought my computer, too, as they had nothing to do and I had tons of games I thought they might like to help break the silence.  I tried game after game with the results being pretty much the same...too complicated.  Then I showed them Links (by Access, not Microsoft) running under DOS.  Once I showed them how to play it with the mouse they spent all night long playing the game.  I remember going to bed about 2 AM and when I woke up around 9 AM they were still playing the game having started a new one at some point.  

Another game Mom played with a friend and me was You Don't Know Jack (the first edition).  It was a simple game to play...just push one button and type in your answer.  Mom would laugh at "Cookie's" obnoxious jokes and trivial questions when he would say examples and then give the question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users